Happy Holidays

Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Confessions of a quilter

I AM A HAND QUILTER.  The word is very few quilters are hand quilting their finished projects these days.  Most are machine quilting them.  I know the reason:  If you want to get started on your next quilt this is the faster way to complete one.

I'm afraid to tackle quilting by machine using my own sewing machine.  I've had a few quilts done by a quilting service but they just lack the finished look of a hand done one.  And of course I don't let an unfinished quilt stop me from beginning another.  In fact, more than likely I'm working on several quilts at the same time.  It's silly to think I'm the only person who does that.

I have many projects in different modes of completion.  There's piecing, sandwiching, and quilting.  I used to take my projects to the cottage with me during the summer and hand quilt them there.  That was because there was no electricity for a machine, so lots of quilts were finished over the course of a summer.  My husband wired our cottage for solar energy and now I'm spoiled.  I can now sew and piece, however, that sure has cut down on my quilting.

I make myself a list of my projects so I don't lose track of what's to be done, but golly that list is long.



A recently completed quilt--don't you just want to snuggle with it?


No comments:

Post a Comment