Happy Holidays

Monday, November 14, 2011

Backyard dentistry

Our friends, who we often meet for lunch, just got back from visiting their relatives down south.  Frank gave us a call to chat and see what's new.  We got on the subject of dentists and their costs.  He and his wife are very frugal with their money.  When I cited some of the costs for our dental visits he said we should go to his dentist.

Their dentist is a nerdy, strange guy who has his office in the garage of his mother's house.  He answers his own phone and books appointments.  He charges very little for his visits, but insists on a cash payment, payable on the day of the visit.  He does no billing, has no payment plan and doesn't deal with insurance claims.  His charges vary according to the cost of the materials that he uses.  

Frank broke a tooth and his dentist offered to put in a "Perry County" crown.  Not the kind I'm used to but a cap using the materials they use for fillings, if they hold -- that's good, if not maybe the tooth gets pulled later.  His wife once had a tooth pulled and a few days after found that he'd pulled the wrong tooth.  Oops, (I hate it when my dentist says "OOPS!) can that one be reinstalled?

If you'd like I can get the address for this guy.  Even though my dentist is expensive I think I'll stay with him.  I keep picturing traveling down a dark, overgrown walkway in the back yard of an old house to find my eccentric dentist waiting.  Maybe his dental setup includes an old lawn lounge chair with garden variety tools and oil stains on the floor from when mom used to park her old buick.  I can be adventurous, but I'll pass on this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment