Happy Holidays

Friday, March 25, 2011

Yarn vs Fabric

I thought I'd do something different than quilting, so I gathered my supplies; a crochet hook, size H, my pattern book for making doll outfits, and a nice, fresh, bright yellow, skein of yarn.  Next I settled down in front of a good movie, found the end of the yarn and began to chain; 25 to be exact.

The yarn fed nicely from the skein just like it was supposed to until I was almost finished the second row of hdc (half double crochet).  At that point the yarn seemed to lock down tight and no amount of pulling and tugging would produce another inch.  I shifted the inside material back and forth hoping to loosen the problem, but still no release.  Next I pulled the inside of the skein out and mashed and bunched it around--still nothing.  At least it did produce the other end of the yarn.  Maybe I'd started on the wrong end, so I began rolling the skein into a ball.  I should have taken a photo to show my results because I now had a mass of tangles from hell.

Two hours later, my movie had ended and a new one had begun and I was still manipulating the ball in and out of itself.  I'd even taken a few bathroom breaks and stopped for an ice cream snack. I'd ripped out my beginning work and and started rolling a ball from that end as well.  Three hours later I'd finally completed the task of producing one, big, unsnarled ball from which I could work freely on my new project.
My neatly untangled ball of yellow.
Back to chain 25, row 1 and row 2 completed, I'd begun to think that the weight of this yarn was too heavy for doll clothes.  I thought I needed something called sport weight or baby yarn.  Still I continued on row 3 (NCIS is investigating a mysterious murder) and I'm certain that this yarn is not meant for doll clothes.  So I ripped out my three rows of work, rewound all onto the ball and set it aside to be returned to storage.  It'll be perfect for an afghan --later, yarn and I weren't on best terms at the moment.

Flip Flip quilt that will be fun for summer use.
That's what I did last night instead of quilting.  I think I should stick to what I'm most familiar with.  I could have been quilting my latest quilt.  At least I took a picture of it.  Maybe tonight!

1 comment:

  1. Well it looks like a beautiful ball of yarn. :)) At least it'll be ready for when you next feel motivated to pull it down from the shelves.

    I thought about trying to make that quilted sleepover bag I mentioned over email (for Summer) but had a similiar feeling: I think for now I'm most comfortable sticking to what I'm good at. But a knitted bag just wouldn't be quite as nice as a quilted one.

    ReplyDelete