Happy Holidays

Friday, March 11, 2011

Night Shift worker

I'm on to test block number 11 and it's back to the kind that I like to do, patchwork.  I'm smiling and so happy to get started.  This one has tiny, teeny pieces with several borders using triangle squares and an interesting pieced center block.  I wish I could show the block pattern but they must be kept under wraps until the book is published.  That's the agreement.

The instructions didn't arrive until the evening.  I think my editor lives in Colorado, or at least out west, and the time zones are several hours apart.  I took the pattern to my sewing room with the intentions of choosing fabric and making a decision on the colors I would use.  It was almost bedtime so as soon as I had completed the decision task I was going to turn in.

I was wading through a pile of soft greens testing contrasting colors to use with them when I found a bright scrap of stripes left over from a baby quilt I'd made two summers ago.  Digging deeper I found another bigger scrap of turquoise material that was part of the same quilt.  There was definitely enough of those two to do the center block so I had an interesting starting combination.
Scraps from this quilt are part of the new block
As always starting something new is exciting.  I start new projects all the time, sometimes midpoint of one that I'm working on.  I might be on my way across the room when an interesting design or piece of fabric catches my attention and oops, I'm off in another direction.  Is this normal?

Getting back to the task at hand--before I knew it the clock said 2 AM and I'd finished the center of the block.  No wonder I was feeling tired.  I'd spent the last few hours with my little featherweight humming away, playing with thread and fabric scraps and never noticed the time going by.  So off to bed with thoughts of what to choose for the final part of the block.  I'll be back in my sewing room soon looking for pieces and colors that talk to me and say they'd like to be included.

No comments:

Post a Comment