Happy Holidays

Thursday, March 10, 2011

Scrap happy

Just when I had all of my scraps organized and stored Quiltmaker Magazine sent me another pattern to test using the hated paper piecing method--shudder -shudder.  This one was so easy that I had no problem completing the block quickly.  Basically I sewed together many scraps and strips and then cut out the pattern once I had a piece big enough.  That's not exactly according to the instructions, but it was far easier and didn't use any paper.  Sh-h, don't tell my editor.
So much for organization

I was so in to making the block, using bright scraps from quilts I've made for kids.  I had snips and more scraps all over the table and floor.  I was buzzing along like I was related to Edward Scissorhands trimming bushes into glorious shapes.  Stitch and snip, add another bright strip, dig into the pile for the next perfect piece --STOP--then I realized that I'd been using the wrong pattern piece.  There were only two pieces to the pattern and I been piecing the background piece.

It was start over time, back to square one, so to speak.  Now that I had the hang of how this block was going together it was not a problem to switch over to the correct piece and produce four perfect patches to use for my test block.

The mistake pieces are still usable because if I were to make a quilt with this pattern I would use alternating blocks of negative and positive for the whole quilt.  The end result would be something like Joesph's Coat of Many Colors.  It would be an exciting quilt with lots of pieces to find and compare.  The perfect quilt for a person who likes to get lost in playing visual games while they snuggle.

Gosh, I hadn't planned to make this quilt, however, the more I think on the finished quilt the more excited I am to get started.  I've got a list of quilts I want to make that is growing . . . and growing.

No comments:

Post a Comment