Happy Holidays

Sunday, January 29, 2012

Delayed Due to Construction

It ain't gonna fit!
It was supposed to be a yoga bag for a Christmas gift but things went wrong in the plan and design department, frustration set in and the bag became an annoying project that just couldn't progress.  So the poor thing sat and waited while the calendar counted down to the 25th.  It was delivered, with an apology and a cry for help.  "Tell me what's wrong and what should I change."


A little more research online and a fresh start with a new approach was a good thing.  I needed to think bigger and longer.  I began making the cover by stitching together strips of fabric of different widths.  One little back step to remove a piece of green fabric, that wasn't working, it didn't want to be there. I added a pocket, remembering to do so while the fabric was still in a flat piece made it quick and easy.

I've sewn the piece into a tube and then added a circle for the bottom.  It took a bit of playing with circles and patterns until I figured out the correct size. (I knew I should have saved my notes from high school geometry class.)  I chose a darker fabric to make a lining using the same steps as the outside of the bag.  Adding the carrying strap is still a bit of confusion to me.  I wanted it to be attached to both layers of the bag for strength, but it's impossible to sew it on by machine once the bag is in a tube shape.  I did manage to attach it at the open end by machine but the bottom was stitched on by hand and a button or decoration was added to cover my hand stitches.

It's the extra features that were so much fun to incorporate.  I've added a strap loop to the bottom seam to make a handle to hang onto while removing the yoga mat, a key fob to the inside at the top for storing keys and a barrel to the drawstring for easy closing, and of course a bit of quilting to make it look extra, extra special.

A key fob

Barrel lock and drawstring

A strap loop for easy removal

Now that it's finished it's ready to package and be sent on its way.  A bit late for the Christmas it was intended for but a package at your door with a surprise is a good thing any time of the year.


Merry Christmas!
in January

1 comment:

  1. I'll send a pic with my mat in it when it arrives! So excited!!! :) It's absolutely gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete