Happy Holidays

Thursday, May 19, 2011

Cascading through fields




Today the One Block Wonder was finished and is now on the stack of quilts waiting to be quilted.  It took a year to get it finished to this point; now it needs to be quilted.  I started on it last year just before we left to head back north.  I can't say whether I love it or not, but I can tell you I won't be making another one too soon.

It's a very creative and time consuming method.  If many people used the same fabric print their quilts would all look totally different and unique.  Mine makes me think of a group of yellow flowers cascading through a field of purple and lilac ones.  The flowers are a strong contrast to the background, making the spinning hexagon flowers pop.

After all of the hexagons were sewn together the blocks were sorted into colors and then I began to lay them out on the floor creating a design. It takes a few days of studying and tweaking until a satisfactory placement appears.  That's what makes it different from any other persons design.  It is a personal decision.

It will make a beautiful wall hanging; on the other hand it would be lovely just to snuggle under it.  My quilt has a date with my good friend and her long arm quilting machine.  After which it's going to stay with her in Fort McMurray.  Now that I've found a happy home for it I might--that's maybe--think about making another.  The fun part of course is shopping for just the right print.  But it's going to have to wait for a while, there are many other quilts waiting their turn.

It's true:  "There are so many quilts to be made and not enough time."

No comments:

Post a Comment