Happy Holidays

Friday, December 2, 2011

Max and Whiskers--double duty

What a comfort it is to have a quilt to cover myself with while I watch my favorite TV shows.  My quilts always serve double duty because while they keep me cozy I'm also hand quilting them.  It's like one hand washing the other.

My package of charm squares started out as a gift from a friend.  As a thank you I made her a pin cushion from several pieces in a miniature log cabin block.  I saw the cute idea in a quilt shop in Sherwood Park, AB last summer and just had to try it out.  I'd also bought a pound of crushed walnut shells for the insides and had to make a few more from different scraps for other friends just to use it all.

With three or four pieces used from the Charm Pack I ordered another pack so I could make a quilt.  I love the adventure of shopping for fabric and it was quite fun to receive my order, but then I had to act on my plan and produce a finished product.  As all of quilters know we have enough fabric stashed away to make at least a dozen more quilts; however this was a challenge that called for a bit of seed fabric--that's rational--right?

Max and Whiskers-Moda  Lots of orange and yellows with black to make it pop.

I like the border which used up the gray,  and red plaid that's been hanging around for a few years.
The challenge was to use up some of my stash/scraps, which I certainly did.  I was so happy to see the end of the gray that was scraps left over from a Halloween costume eons ago.  It looks like lots of sewing, but honest using the Disappearing Nine block pattern it all went very quickly.

1 comment: