Happy Holidays

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

A Rewarding Request

Summer's backpack
Who would have thought that a little girl's request for a quilted backpack like her friend's would lead to such profitable quests.  I was so pleased with the backpack I made for my granddaughter, Summer, that I had to brag to my friends.  I shared photos and even gave them the internet address where the pattern could be found.

That bit of information squeezed the creative juices of a few quilting friends in Fort McMurray.  They, planning a sale to clear away some of their stash, decided to package a kit for making backpacks.  Then they asked me to contribute a few finished ones to be sold.

I first thought I had lots of time.  It was last week when I learned the sale was planned for May 1st.  Taking mailing time into consideration I realized that I had to get moving fast!  For the last few days I've been working my production line, not a big one mind you, trying to finish 3 bags on schedule.

A quilted flap 
Choosing bright fabrics that complement each other was lots of fun, yet challenging.  The pattern instructed to use narrow strips to create the body of the bag but with a little substitution I found that I could make a more interesting bag quicker.  I resorted to using my changes which included alternating wide and narrow strips.


The back with bright orange straps





Many times I ran out of material to complete a part.  At that point I searched around for another scrap that would go with the colors I was using and yet make
it look like it was all planned and not patchwork.
While that step is time consuming it was fun and fulfilling.


Additional striped fabric completed the bottom.



Among my supplies I found labels to add that said,"Made with Love."  The perfect touch to finish off the completed project.  I was so pleased with all of them and found it was difficult to send them on their way to Fort McMurray.  I hope the customers at Nat and Pat's sale fall in love with them.

1 comment: