Happy Holidays

Friday, April 15, 2011

An exercise in design

Garden Spot
A block design with great potential.

The other block I spotted on the cover is called Garden Spot.   I found this one exciting and full of possibilities.  My test block was quite pleasing to look at in person, however, I noticed in the photo the pink triangles should have been a higher contrast to the other colors.  It would have made the block really "pop."  

What I really like about the design is when more blocks are placed around it the corner triangles will create a second design in the finished quilt.  It fools the eye of the observer to thinking that the making of the quilt is far more complex than it actually is.

Today the mailman delivered a surprise thank you gift from Quilmaker magazine; a coffee mug with a print of the cover of Volume 3, 100 Blocks.  Later in the day the UPS man delivered my two free copies of the book which has my name listed on page 7 as a tester for this volume.  Right now I'm waiting for the editor to send me patterns to test for Vol. 4 and hoping to get started before we pack up and head north.

No comments:

Post a Comment